Manitowoc, WI 54220
Title: Job Description – Sales Engineer
Supervises: No Direct Reports
Job Classification Nonexempt
JOB PURPOSE or JOB SUMMARY:
Our sales engineer will specialize in technologically and scientifically advanced products. It is the responsibility of the Sales Engineer to use their technical skills to explain the benefits of our products or services to potential customers and to show how our products or services are better than the competition. The sales engineer works through complex sales, provides product manufacturing solutions and solidifies relationships with new and existing customers. The sales engineer displays a passion for what he/she does and constantly works towards improving sales/marketing and rapport with the customer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Well versed in the plastics industry for rotational molding and thermal vacuum forming
• Prepare and deliver technical presentations explaining products or services to customers and prospective customers
• Confer with customers and engineers to assess equipment needs and to determine production/part requirements
• Collaborate with sales teams to understand customer requirements and provide sales support
• Secure and renew orders and arrange delivery
• Plan and modify products to meet customer needs
• Help clients solve problems with product
• Recommend improved materials or innovation to customers, showing how changes will lower costs or increase production
• Help in researching and developing new products and/or materials
• Develops customer’s staff by providing technical information and training.
• Establishes new accounts and services accounts by identifying potential customers and/or market segments; planning and organizing sales call schedule.
• Identifies current and future customer service requirements by establishing personal rapport with potential and actual customers and other persons in a position to understand service requirements.
• Provides product, service, or equipment technical and engineering information by answering questions and requests.
• Prepares cost estimates by studying client prints, plans, and related customer documents; consulting with our internal engineers, project, production and/or QA/QC management.
• Determines improvements by analyzing cost-benefit ratios of equipment, supplies, or service applications in customer environment; engineering or proposing changes in equipment, processes, or use of materials or services.
• Gains customer acceptance by explaining or demonstrating cost reductions and operations improvements.
• Generates quote opportunities and client submissions by conferring with engineering staff; RE: costing, materials and or engineering changes
• Prepares sales engineering reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing sales information and engineering and application trends.
• Conducting in-depth product demonstrations of products/services
• Presenting the product and all features to customers at events such as conferences and seminars
• Communicating customer requirements to product management teams
• Travelling throughout all sales territories
• Providing advanced training and support for the sales team
• Write sales proposals that outline various buying options, pricing, and the benefits of buying certain products and services.
An individual in this position must be able to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The list reflects the general details necessary to describe the principle and essential functions of the position and shall not be construed as the only duties that may be assigned for the position.
• Strong understanding of MRP system
• Understanding of BOM structures and the financial aspects of sales engineering (calculating costs, margins, etc.)
• Ability to perform critical thinking and complex problem solving
• Able to work independently, be a self-starter and meet deadlines
• Shows moral courage, integrity, openness and honesty in all dealings
• Highly personable, energetic and engaging personality
• Ability to generate or show incremental partnership value to clients
• Ability to work through frustrating situations while presenting self as a positive leader to team members
• Willingness and ability to travel frequently
• Creativity to approach sales and build customer relationships in groundbreaking new ways
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Solid experience in the plastics industry
• Excellent organizational skills and a high attention to detail
• Computer proficiency and the ability to accurately enter data and generate reports
• Negotiation and social problem-solving skills
PREFERRED AND REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Education: 4-year degree in relevant field preferred
Experience and/or Training: Minimum 5 to 10 years relevant operations experience in a manufacturing environment including sales experience preferably within the roto-molding and vacuum forming plastics industry
Licenses/Certificates: No certifications required
Technology/Equipment: Demonstrated knowledge in the use of current technology. Proficient in the use of Microsoft office products, Familiarity with SolidWorks preferred, working knowledge of project management software (MS Project or
Smartsheet), as well as other and other manufacturing software preferred.
Communication: The ability to read, speak, and comprehend English is required
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
• This is an office position spends some time sitting, standing and walking through a plant environment.
• Ability to navigate and drive an automobile.
• This position may climb stairs throughout the day.
• 15 to 20 lbs. occasional lifting
• Manual dexterity is required to perform normal day to day functions
• Ability to comprehend complex situations and problem solve complex issues.
• Always presents self in a calm professional manner
• Ability to wear appropriate personal protective equipment
The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
The main working environment for this position is a standard office environment with some exposure to a plant environment.
The plant environment is partially climate controlled and may include on occasion, exposure to heat, cold, noise and odors. Personal protective equipment is required in appropriate areas.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual would encounter while performing the essential functions of this position.